Getabout is an access scheme which is operated in partnership by Adapt (North East), and Community Action Northumberland and Northumberland County Council. The overall aims of the project are:
- To provide support to people who have transport issues, particularly those who have difficulty making essential journeys, (for instance to access health related appointments).
- To build up an evidence base giving a better understanding of where gaps in transport provision exist in Northumberland, and of the impact these have on the lives of our residents and communities.
- Wherever possible to identify appropriate and cost effective ways of addressing those gaps.
There are two main elements to the project:
- A telephone information and advice service backed up by a volunteer driver scheme which provides a safety net for people who would otherwise be unable to undertake essential journeys. This part of the service is provided by Adapt (North East). For more details click here.
- Support for communities who wish to develop a better understanding of transport needs in their area and / or develop local transport solutions. This part of the service is provided by CAN and Northumberland County Council. For more details, click here.
Getabout is looking to recruit volunteer drivers. If you are interested, you can find more details here.